Clopton Bridge over the river AvonShow/Hide_Details
In the 1490s, Hugh Clopton paid for construction of Clopton Bridge, a stone bridge that still spans the river today. This bridge enabled the routes from the south to be passable all the year round.
Stratford was also famous for its malting using mostly barley for brewing obtained from the growing areas in the south.
In 1553, Stratford was granted a Charter of Incorporation which meant that a town council (the Corporation) was formed, consisting of 14 Aldermen and 14 Chief Burgesses headed by a High Bailiff. Their duties included paying the Vicar's salary, maintaining the bridge, administering the schools and the Alms Houses for the sick.
The Corporation had the power to make bye-laws to control the markets and prevent trouble. They also had powers to fine people who broke these bye-laws.
Shakespeare's father was nominated to join the Corporation in 1557 and became High Bailiff in 1568 for one year.
16th Jun 2005 by Administrator
English, Geography, History
Key Stage 2, Key Stage 3, Key Stage 4, Key Stage 4+