Swimming Pool opening, 1908Show/Hide_Details
Letchworth’s first Swimming Pool was opened in 1908 at the Pixmore Way end of Howard Park, and closed in 1935. The water was only changed once a week so the deep end would soon become murky. It was supposedly fed by a natural water source.
One gentleman remembered:
“We thought it was a nice pool then, it was an open air one, but it was covered in leaves and of course it was cold.”
To celebrate the opening of the swimming pool, an Opening Ceremony and Gala were held on Saturday June 27th, 1908.
14th Aug 2009 by fgchm
Key Stage 1, Key Stage 2
local history, Letchworth, park, gardens, swimming pool, sport, Edwardian, garden city
Related Links:EXIF data: