The Co-op was where Wilkinsons is now.
The Garden City Co-operators were established in 1904. By the end of 1904 they had 52 members, by 1914 they had 500.
They eventually purchased their own site on Eastcheap in 1913. This shop grew and grew.
The Co-operators managed to cope with the depression of the 1920s by merging with Hitchin, becoming Letchworth, Hitchin and District Co-operative Society. New departments were added: clothing, hardware, coal and butchery, and in the 1930s a cobbler, café and creamery.
In the 1960s the store was modernised, however, after changing its name to 'Living', the shop shut in 1999. A small national Co-op continues at 11 Arena Parade.
29th Aug 2009 by fgchm