Plans for the New House of Correction 1819-1849Show/Hide_Details
Front or north elevation of the stepping mill to be built at the New house of correction, 1821.
The prison population continued to grow at an alarming rate in Bedford (in 1802 65 gaol entries by 1817 242). In 1818 it was decided to erect a House of Correction not directly connected with the old County Gaol/House of Correction. The next year, a circular letter sent by the Clerk of the Peace stated the New House of Correction "...was fit for the reception of prisoners" Recommended by the court that offenders against the Game Laws, servants and labourers for misbehaviour in their employment, men for cases of bastardy, women committed for lewdness, persons committed for light offences or for want of sureties "with the exception in all cases of Prisoners of notoriously bad Characters" shall be sent there. The old or new house of correction should be specified on all warrants of commitment. There was a tread mill and a hand crank for those prisoners incapable of working at the tread mill.
10th Jun 2007 by Diane Earl
Key Stage 2, Key Stage 3, Key Stage 4, Key Stage 4+