Front of town gaol by T Fisher c1820.
The town gaol is recorded on three different sites. This picture relates to the third site. in 1795 The Corporation of Bedford agreed that John Wing would build the new Town Gaol and lodge for the keeper with a wall around the same for £360 and the materials of the old Gaol were to be taken down and used for the purpose. [Bor BE 10/2] The gaol was to be built in 'Pesthouse Close', in St Loyes. It is shown on a map of 1807 a few hundred yards west of the site of the County Gaol, built in 1801. In 1824 It was decided to house the town prisoners in the County Gaol. The town gaol was pulled down shortly afterwards.