A pub has stood on this site, on St Andrew's Hill, since the 16th century. The Cockpit takes its name from the fact that it used to be a major venue for gambling during cock fights. When cock fighting was outlawed in 1849, the pub's name changed to the Three Castles but it has since been refurbished... From NEN Gallery