A Royal Charter giving the right to hold a weekly market was awarded to the town in 1412 in the reign of Henry 1V and the Market Cross was built soon after this.  It was used by the market officials to conduct their business under shelter.  The town's stocks were fixed to the Marke Cross until the e... From NEN Gallery